Soon, we're going to New Mexico. I announced the team yesterday; still have some details to work out. We did a concession this morning, me and Sgt C, and now there's some money in the bank for the trip. Jesus calls us, and He also paves the road. Or at least shows us which way to go.
I heard "We Rode in Trucks" today, and it took me to New Mex, to the backseat of the truck while Efren was driving those red dirt roads, sitting there with Mrs. Butler and my girls, feeling alive, knowing I was where Jesus wanted me. Loving it.
And we have dirt roads here, too -- brown and dry because it doesn't rain in Montana anymore. After a concession full of pancakes and Hawaiian Punch and sausage gravy, I turned west towards Big Ditch instead of towards home and went looking for my horse -- me and my rezzed-out chi'dii clanking around through the buffalo grass, chasing horses, watching foxes, driving into ditches that hide in the tall grass while I'm watching foxes. The horses went where I wanted them to, but Apples was lame, so I walked him over to Lodge Grass Creek to see if the water would help.
I ended up in water up to my knees, filling my new boots, with Apples splashing around and thinking I was crazy. He bit me. I yelled at him. But we both had a good time anyway.
I was walking him back when some little girls showed up on their bikes, and we talked our way through town, back to the corral, them on their bikes and me walking my horse, and people drove by like it was normal because it is. The girls came to my house with me after that, and we played Twister and Trouble and ate popsicles, and it was perfect. It wasn't a red dirt road, but it was right where I was supposed to be.
This summer in Alaska was beautiful -- mountains and roping and wildflowers and cast iron, riding Pecos, listening to my jingle-bobs and the familiar sounds of people I love working hard around me all the time. The people I worked with looked so much like Jesus, loved so much like Jesus, hung onto me even when I was a mess. I wrestled with my brokenness and my calling and the very origin of my faith, and they hung onto me through all of it. And in that, I realized that Jesus was hanging onto me, too.
There are a lot of things I want to do. I want to know the world because I've touched it, to understand courage because I've seen it, to see the depth of what people survive and choose to thrive in spite of. I want to go to South America and Africa and the Outback. I want to see Jesus' love in all these different places, to realize the depth that it has, the significance. When Jesus is the very breath in our bodies, the One keeping our soul tied into our skin, everything shifts, I think.
And right now, I am in Crow Country, in this place I love, and the sun is headed for the Big Horns, but I can't see them because of the fog from the Gilead Fire in Wyoming. It is so dry; it has been dry for so long. But the mountains are still there, just like Jesus was still there when my doubts made everything so hard to see. He hung onto me. He says I am worth the ransom He paid, worth the blood on His hands.
You are, too.
To be loved when we don't deserve it is the greatest gift of all...and it's the story of our very existence.
In giving Him ourselves, living for One greater than we could even understand, we find the reason we were made. There is epicness in the very fabric of our stories.
Dear friend and beautiful gem of a lady,
ReplyDeleteI believe that we often have a knack for making each other cry when we write things. Not necessarily always actual tears, but a kind of deep pull or, maybe more accurately, a flooding of soul with agreement in mystery, a crying out on behalf of others, stories like old quilts with deep threads and needle marks, patches and time, love and dirt smudges, hope. You help ground me and also help to make sure I check on the growth of my wings. Thank you for sharing and writing. Thank you for being broken and strong. Thank you for doubting and seeking.
I easily focus on the pouring out of myself for others (and often fail), and even base my worth in how I am able to do this (and often fail), and neglect the main, infinitely more worthy asking of God to give everything I am and have to Him - not foremost to others. Some wise man long ago wrote in Proverbs: "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will." (21:1). How wild and unpredictable and freeing would that be?!
I love you and am deeply grateful to be friends, learning how to be liquid rather than ice in the hands of the Lord :-) I am excited and waiting for you to come so we can go on an adventure to Ularoo and explore the Aboriginal life and culture and what Jesus looks like there!