Sunday, March 1, 2009

58 Degrees

There was blue sky today, blue sky all the way from the Bighorns to the Wolf Mountains to the horizon towards Billings. And there was warmth to the sun again. March 1st; almost spring.

I climbed up on an excavator today to get on my horse bareback. Someday I'll be able to fly-mount, but it's not today. I rode her around the pasture in my basketball shoes without any metal in her mouth, and neither of us was mad by the end of it. It felt good.

It's been a long winter. Really long. Dark sometimes, and hard. Learning who I am, who I used to be, where I'm going. Learning to let go and to live in the present. It always comes down to siding with life instead of siding with death. We can survive, or we can live.

58 degrees. Almost spring. This is when life takes over, pushes death away, says its had its way too long...and life explodes all around us. So much of life is about choosing, pushing back the cold, deciding to believe instead of being afraid or even indifferent.


This place has been in winter for too long. It's time to pray for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment